Planning your vacation to the Canadian Rockies and wondering where to stay in Jasper, Alberta, Canada? I grew up in the area and worked at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge so I definitely have an insider’s perspective on the best places to stay, whether you want to be downtown Jasper or a short drive away.
Jasper, Alberta, Canada, has a rich history that dates back to its establishment as a trading post in the early 1800s. The town itself was officially incorporated in 1907, making it over a century old as of 2023.
What is unique about Jasper?
What makes Jasper special is its unparalleled natural beauty and its location within the magnificent Jasper National Park. Nestled in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, Jasper is surrounded by breathtaking landscapes, including majestic mountains, sparkling lakes, and lush forests. It’s a haven for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers, offering a wide range of activities such as hiking, wildlife viewing, canoeing, skiing, and more. The town’s close proximity to stunning attractions like Maligne Lake, Athabasca Falls, and the Columbia Icefield further adds to its appeal.
Jasper’s charm lies not only in its stunning surroundings but also in its welcoming community and relaxed mountain-town atmosphere. Despite its popularity as a tourist destination, especially in the summer season, the town has managed to maintain its small-town character, with local shops, restaurants, and cafes adding to its unique charm. The friendly locals, the vibrant arts and culture scene, and the sense of community make Jasper a warm and inviting place to visit.
What is Special About Jasper National Park?
As part of Jasper National Park, the largest national park in the Canadian Rockies, the town is dedicated to preserving its natural heritage and promoting sustainable tourism. The park’s protected status ensures that visitors can explore and appreciate the pristine beauty of the area while minimizing the impact on the environment. Jasper National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984, along with the adjacent Banff National Park. The parks collectively form the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks World Heritage Site, recognized for their outstanding natural beauty, geological significance, and ecological diversity. Furthermore, Jasper National Park is the world’s second largest dark sky preserve!
Overall, the town of Jasper offers a combination of breathtaking landscapes, outdoor adventure opportunities, friendly community, and commitment to conservation make it a truly special destination that captures the hearts of those who visit. If you’re looking for a hotel room, there are many to choose from. Whether it a luxury hotels or standard rooms, there is a Jasper hotel that is the perfect place for you.
Where to Stay in Jasper, Alberta, Canada
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge is one of the best hotels in the Rocky Mountains. It is a five-star hotel that offers a wide range of amenities to enhance your stay and ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience.
About Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge (JPL) has stood the test of time, with its storied history spanning over a century. As you step foot onto this historic property, you’ll be stepping into 101 years of heritage and charm, with its establishment dating back to 1922.
Prepare to explore the vast expanse of the lodge’s sprawling property, which spans approximately 700 acres (283 hectares) of untouched natural beauty within the heart of Jasper National Park. The JPL’s location on the shores of Lac Beauvert offers a tranquil and scenic setting for standup paddling, canoeing, or simply immersing yourself in the natural beauty of the area – just steps away from your cabin or private rooms. You’ll have ample space to roam, unwind, and take in this beautiful place.
Stay in Jasper Park Lodge Cabins
When it comes to accommodations, Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge offers a range of options to suit your preferences and group size. Choose from 446 rooms, including cozy cabins, charming heritage log cabins, luxurious signature cabins, and spacious suites. Each of these accommodations provides a unique ambiance and a comfortable retreat for your stay.
Amenities at JPL
Here are some of the amenities you can expect to find when you stay in Jasper Park Lodge:
- Dining Options: The lodge features a variety of dining venues, including fine dining restaurants, casual eateries, and cozy lounges. From gourmet cuisine to pub-style fare, there are options to suit every palate.
- Spa and Wellness: Indulge in relaxation and rejuvenation at the Fairmont Spa. Enjoy a wide range of treatments, including massages, facials, body wraps, and more, designed to promote relaxation and well-being.
- Outdoor Pool and Outdoor Hot Tub: Take a refreshing dip in the outdoor pool, which offers spectacular views of the surrounding mountain scenery. It’s a perfect spot to relax and unwind during the warmer months. But don’t let the cooler weather scare you off of the pool. It’s also extraordinary to experience in the winter months as you’re surrounded by snow and the steam is rising up from the pool or hot tub.
- Fitness Center: Stay active and maintain your workout routine at the lodge’s fully equipped fitness center. It features modern exercise equipment to help you stay in shape while enjoying your stay.
- Golf Course: Frequently recognized as one of the best golf resorts in Canada, Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge boasts a scenic and challenging golf course. Golf enthusiasts can enjoy playing amidst stunning mountain vistas and well-manicured fairways. It’s also an incredible spot for wildlife viewing.
- Gift Shops: Browse through the gift shops and boutiques located within the lodge, offering a selection of unique souvenirs, local crafts, clothing, and other items for you to take home as mementos.
- Meeting and Event Spaces: JPL provides versatile meeting and event spaces for conferences, weddings, and special occasions. The facilities offer state-of-the-art technology and personalized services to ensure successful events.
- Concierge Services: The friendly and knowledgeable concierge staff are available to assist you with any requests, including tour bookings, transportation arrangements, and recommendations for local attractions and activities.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi: Stay connected throughout your stay with complimentary Wi-Fi available in public areas and guest rooms. Be sure to sign up for the Accor loyalty program, ALL, ahead of your stay.
Things to Do at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge offers a plethora of activities and experiences to ensure you have a memorable stay. Here are some of the things you can enjoy during your time at JPL:
- Outdoor Adventures: Immerse yourself in the breathtaking natural surroundings by embarking on exciting outdoor activities. Explore the network of hiking and biking trails, go horseback riding, or join a guided wildlife tour.
- Golf: Tee off at the lodge’s picturesque golf course, which offers stunning mountain views and challenging fairways. The Stanley Thompson-designed course provides a rewarding experience for golfers of all skill levels.
- Canoeing and Kayaking: Take to the water and explore the pristine lakes and rivers surrounding the lodge. Rent a canoe or kayak and paddle your way through the crystal-clear waters while enjoying the tranquility of nature.
- Wildlife Viewing: Jasper National Park is renowned for its wildlife, and JPL provides ample opportunities to spot animals in their natural habitat. Keep an eye out for elk, deer, moose, black bears, and even elusive wolves as you explore the hotel grounds.
- Spa and Wellness: Indulge in relaxation and rejuvenation at the lodge’s luxurious spa. Treat yourself to a variety of massages, facials, and body treatments designed to restore balance and enhance your well-being.
- Dining: Savor exquisite culinary experiences at the lodge’s restaurants, which offer a range of dining options to suit every palate. Enjoy a fine dining experience, indulge in hearty pub fare, or relish in casual meals amidst breathtaking views.
- Fishing: Cast your line and try your luck at fishing in the pristine mountain lakes and rivers. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a beginner, the lodge can provide guidance and equipment to enhance your fishing experience.
- Winter Activities: During the winter months, the lodge transforms into a winter wonderland. Engage in thrilling activities such as skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and ice skating in the surrounding snowy landscapes.
- Relaxation and Leisure: Unwind in the lodge’s cozy lounges, curl up by the fireplace with a good book, or simply enjoy the serene ambiance of the surroundings. Take a leisurely stroll around the property, appreciating the beauty of the natural landscapes.
Where to Stay in Jasper: Additional Hotels
Jasper hotels offer a range of comfortable accommodations. Nestled amidst the breathtaking beauty of the Canadian Rockies, they’re an ideal base for exploring the natural wonders of Jasper National Park.
The Mount Robson Inn offers comfortable accommodations in Jasper with its cozy rooms and convenient amenities such as free breakfast, a fitness center, and an indoor pool. Its central location allows for easy access to Jasper’s downtown area and various attractions. This makes it a convenient base for exploring the stunning natural beauty of Jasper National Park.
Nestled amidst the captivating Pyramid Lake, Pyramid Lake Resort provides a serene mountain retreat. The resort offers well-appointed chalet-style cabins and spacious suites with picturesque lake or mountain views. You’ll enjoy outdoor activities like canoeing, fishing, and hiking, while also taking advantage of the on-site restaurant and spa facilities.
Situated near the enchanting Maligne Canyon, Maligne Lodge offers comfortable accommodations with rustic charm. The lodge features cozy rooms and suites, some with fireplaces, as well as an on-site restaurant and bar. Its location provides easy access to hiking trails and scenic spots, allowing you to immerse yourself in the beauty of the surrounding nature.
Set amidst the captivating natural beauty of Sunwapta Falls, the Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge offers a peaceful mountain getaway. The lodge features comfortable rooms and cabins with rustic décor, some offering stunning mountain or river views. Guests can explore the nearby waterfalls, enjoy outdoor activities, and indulge in delicious meals at the on-site restaurant.
Pine Bungalows provides a rustic and tranquil retreat along the Athabasca River. Offering charming log cabins and cozy bungalows, guests can experience a peaceful stay surrounded by nature. The property’s proximity to hiking trails and stunning viewpoints allows for easy exploration of the breathtaking Jasper National Park.
Located in a serene forested setting, Tekarra Lodge offers rustic cabins and suites with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. The lodge’s peaceful ambiance and proximity to hiking trails and wildlife make it a perfect choice for nature enthusiasts seeking a tranquil escape.
Overlander Mountain Lodge
Situated near the border of Jasper National Park, Overlander Mountain Lodge provides a peaceful mountain retreat. The lodge offers comfortable rooms and cabins with stunning views of the surrounding peaks. Guests can enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and wildlife spotting, relax in the hot tub, and savor delicious meals at the on-site restaurant.
The Tonquin Inn offers comfortable accommodations in a convenient location near Jasper’s downtown area. The inn features well-appointed rooms and suites, along with amenities like an indoor pool, sauna, and an on-site restaurant. Being walking distance to shops, restaurants, and attractions makes it a great place for exploring Jasper.
Lobstick Lodge offers cozy and spacious accommodations with mountain lodge charm. The lodge features comfortable rooms and suites, an indoor pool, sauna, and an on-site restaurant. Its location provides easy access to various outdoor activities and attractions in the area.
Reflecting the elegance of a traditional mountain lodge, Chateau Jasper offers comfortable rooms and suites with modern amenities. The hotel features a fitness center, indoor pool, and a cozy lounge area. Its central location allows for easy exploration of Jasper’s downtown area and nearby attractions.
Located in the heart of Jasper town, Jasper Inn & Suites offers comfortable accommodations with a cozy and inviting atmosphere. The inn features well-appointed rooms and suites equipped with modern amenities, including free wifi and a flat-screen TV. Guests can enjoy the indoor pool, sauna, and hot tub, providing relaxation after a day of exploring Jasper’s natural wonders. The on-site restaurant offers delicious meals, and the inn’s convenient location provides easy access to downtown Jasper’s shops, restaurants, and attractions.
Forest Park Hotel
Nestled in a peaceful setting surrounded by nature, Forest Park Hotel offers a tranquil retreat in Jasper. The hotel features comfortable rooms with mountain or forest views, providing a cozy ambiance for guests. It offers amenities such as free Wi-Fi, a restaurant, and an outdoor hot tub. The hotel’s location allows for easy access to outdoor activities, including hiking and wildlife spotting in Jasper National Park.
Miette Mountain Cabins
A 30 minute drive from Jasper and situated near the Miette Hot Springs, Miette Mountain Cabins offer a charming mountain getaway in a remote location. The cozy cabins feature rustic decor and are equipped with basic amenities for a comfortable stay. Guests can immerse themselves in nature, enjoy the soothing hot springs, and explore the nearby hiking trails and scenic viewpoints, making it great location for those seeking a peaceful mountain retreat.
Located in the heart of downtown Jasper, Whistler’s Inn provides a cozy and welcoming atmosphere for guests. The inn features comfortable rooms and suites with modern amenities, including free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs. Guests can enjoy the on-site restaurant and pub, which offer delicious meals and a variety of beverages. The inn’s central location offers convenient access to local shops, restaurants, and attractions, allowing guests to explore Jasper’s vibrant downtown area.
Nestled amidst the natural beauty of Jasper, Marmot Lodge offers comfortable accommodations in a serene setting. The lodge features spacious rooms and suites with modern amenities, including free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs. Guests can relax in the indoor swimming pool, steam room, sauna, and hot tub or dine at the on-site restaurant. Its location, with free parking, provides easy access to outdoor activities, including hiking, skiing, and wildlife viewing.
Situated in a peaceful wooded area, Pocahontas Cabins offer a rustic and secluded experience in Jasper National Park. The cozy cabins provide a comfortable retreat, featuring basic amenities for a relaxing stay. Guests can enjoy the tranquility of the surrounding nature, explore nearby trails, and appreciate the abundant wildlife. It’s an ideal choice for those seeking a quiet and nature-focused getaway.
Your Questions about Jasper, Answered:
How many days are needed in Jasper?
The number of days needed to fully experience Jasper can vary depending on your interests and the activities you wish to pursue. However, to have a well-rounded exploration of the area, I’d recommend spend at least 3-5 in Jasper. This will allow you to immerse yourself in the natural wonders of Jasper National Park, experience a variety of outdoor activities, and simply take time to enjoy the town’s charm and local offerings.
During your visit, I’d suggest a day or two to explore the iconic attractions within Jasper National Park, like as Maligne Lake, Athabasca Falls, and the Columbia Icefield. These sites offer awe-inspiring vistas and the opportunity to engage in activities like boat tours, hiking, or even glacier exploration.You can’t go to Jasper and not make time for outdoor adventures. Hiking the park’s scenic trails, doing some wildlife viewing, and canoeing or kayaking on the lakes are just a few of the activities you’ll want to try. And if time allows, wander through the streets of Jasper, visit local shops, dine at charming restaurants, and immerse yourself in the atmosphere of this mountain town.
Remember, the more time you have, the more you can immerse yourself in all Jasper has to offer. However, even with a few days, you can still create lasting memories and experience the highlights that make Jasper so special.
Which is nicer Banff or Jasper?
When it comes to choosing between Banff and Jasper, it ultimately depends on your preferences. Banff National Park captivates visitors with its iconic turquoise lakes, developed amenities, and vibrant town atmosphere. It offers a bustling tourist experience with a wide range of activities and attractions. On the other hand, Jasper boasts a more tranquil and untouched wilderness, providing a sense of serenity and authenticity. With its expansive and less crowded landscapes, Jasper offers a more intimate and laid-back experience. While Banff may have a larger range of tourist infrastructure, Jasper’s rugged charm and secluded atmosphere appeal to those seeking a closer connection to nature.
Both destinations showcase the beauty of the Canadian Rockies, making it worth considering a visit to both to fully experience the diversity and magic of this breathtaking region. Instead of choosing, visit both with my guide: Banff to Jasper Itinerary.
What is the closest town to Jasper Alberta?
The closest town to Jasper, Alberta, is Hinton. Located approximately 77 kilometers (48 miles) east of Jasper, Hinton serves as a gateway to Jasper National Park from the east. It offers amenities such as accommodations, restaurants, gas stations, and shopping options for visitors traveling to or from Jasper. Hinton also serves as a base for outdoor activities and adventures in the area, including hiking, fishing, and exploring nearby natural attractions.
Is there anywhere to stay between Jasper and Banff?
Yes, there are several places to stay between Jasper and Banff, which I cover in my Banff to Jasper Itinerary.
Here are a few suggestions: Sunwapta Falls, located approximately halfway between the two towns, offers a picturesque lodge and cabins where you can enjoy the beauty of the falls. Saskatchewan River Crossing, situated at the junction of the David Thompson Highway and the Icefields Parkway, provides accommodations and services for travelers to refuel and take in the surrounding mountain vistas. The Columbia Icefield area offers a visitor center and the chance to explore the Athabasca Glacier, with the Glacier View Lodge providing a unique accommodation experience with stunning glacier views. Additionally, Lake Louise, although closer to Banff, is renowned for its turquoise lake and mountain scenery, offering a range of accommodations including the iconic Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.
Planning in advance is advisable, especially during peak seasons, to secure your preferred choice along this stunning route.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase. Thank you for your support!