The best baby monitors are the Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor and the Hello Baby video monitor. When choosing the best baby monitors for travel, you should consider video quality, sound quality, and whether you will have internet connection. Plus additional features such as white noise and room temperature will give you peace of mind when you’re monitoring your sleeping baby in separate rooms.
One of the most important purchases you can make when you have young children is a good baby monitor. I have both the Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor and the Hello Baby video monitor, and use them for different purposes. Both make for a great choice and while many of the additional features of both are similar (such as video monitors), I will identify which of the extra features are superior. I’ll also explain the specifics of each and what makes them a great option in various scenarios.
Best Travel Baby Monitors
Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor
The Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor is the best video baby monitor on the market. All of the extra features, such as the breathing band, are useful especially for new parents’ peace of mind. This is not something I thought I’d need but I really do like seeing baby’s breathing rate, particularly once we started sleeping in different rooms. Super clear video monitors with 1080p HD infrared night vision is something that really sets the Nanit apart from other wi-fi monitors. You can see the most finite detail right on your cell phone, even when the baby’s room is pitch dark.
Nanit Pro requires a wi-fi connection. Depending on where you are travelling, you may not have wifi or want to connect to a public network. The Nanit wi-fi baby monitor comes with a wall mount. In order to travel with it, you need to remove the camera from the wall mount and pop it on the multi-stand (may need to be purchased separately).
Additional Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor features include:
- Two-way audio and 24/7 background audio monitors
- Real-time sound and motion notifications with adjustable sensitivity
- Room temperature and humidity monitoring
- Parenting team access, controlled with user permissions, through app (available on iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, or Echo Show devices)
- Secured with 256-bit encryption and two-factor verification
- Night light
- high quality wide-angle lens
- built-in white noise
- excellent video quality
- smart technology to monitor baby’s breathing
- harder to travel with
- requires internet connection
- app occasionally glitches and doesn’t refresh, especially if wifi is slow
*Note, the smart features should not be used as a medical device.
Hello Baby Video Monitor
The Hello Baby video monitor is the best portable baby monitor. The ease of use to simply plug and play makes it a great option as the best travel baby monitor. I actually purchased this baby monitor because it does NOT require wifi so can be used when camping, at Grandma’s, or when internet isn’t reliable. Considering the price point and all of the features, the Hello Baby monitor is very good value.
Additional Hello Baby Video Monitor features include:
- 3.2 Inch screen size LCD display & 2.4GHz wireless technology
- Remote control camera pan and tilt
- Two-way talk communication
- Room temperature monitor and alert, night vision, lullaby, sound level LED indicator, audio only mode
- Sound-activating lights bar, and LCD screen video on crying when the monitor work on screen-off mode (VOX mode). You can hear and notice your baby at once wherever you are doing anything away from baby room. Set a high volume you can hear baby coughing or breathing in real time
- ease of use
- baby monitor can be placed anywhere in the room
- can change camera angles from parent unit
- does not need internet connection
- Parent unit powered by rechargeable batteries and has relatively long battery life
- picture quality isn’t great
- picks up a lot of background noise
- parent unit doesn’t have the best long range capability
Thinking of taking your family camping? HERE are some great spots!
In case you are wondering: what is a parent unit?
The parent unit is the controller or app on your phone used to monitor the baby. The baby unit is the device in the room.
Best Travel Baby Monitors
I hope this helps you choose the best travel baby monitors. Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor and the Hello Baby video monitor are both really great options and I highly recommend either one.
This post contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission at no cost to you should you purchase product through them.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase. Thank you for your support!